Scott A. McLuckeyJohn A. Leighty Distinguished Professor—Analytical Chemistry
Office: BRWN B147A
For Professor McLuckey's individual Home Page click here.
Research in this laboratory is devoted to understanding the chemistry of gaseous macro-ions. These ions are typically derived via electrospray of proteins, oligonucleotides, synthetic polymers, and clusters. The major tools for studying the ions are various forms of mass spectrometry with particular emphasis on the quadrupole ion trap mass spectrometer. The goals are to understand the underlying phenomena that direct the dissociation of high mass ions and the reactions of these ions with neutral molecules and with ions of opposite charge. In realizing these goals, new approaches to the analysis of macro-molecules are enabled. A significant degree of effort is, therefore, also expended towards the exploitation of gaseous macro-ion chemistry in chemical analysis. This effort involves both the development of novel experimental procedures as well as the construction of novel instrumentation. Current areas of interest are the rapid identification of proteins in complex mixtures, sequencing DNA, and structural analysis of dendritic polymers.
EducationB.S. Westminster College, 1978; Ph.D. Purdue University, 1982.
- American Chemical Society Frank H. Field and Joe L. Franklin Award for Outstanding Achievement in Mass Spectrometry, 2012
- Royal Society of Chemistry Theophilus Redwood Award in Analytical Chemistry, 2012
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2011
- Hites Award for Outstanding Publication in JASMS, 2011
- Purdue College of Science Graduate Mentor Award, 2011
- Anachem Award presented by the National Federation of Analytical Chemistry and Spectroscopy , 2008
- Herbert Newby McCoy Award, 2008
- ACS Division of Analytical Chemistry Award in Chemical Instrumentation, 2007
- Curt Brunnee Research Award, International Mass Spectrometry Society, 2000
- Lockheed-Martin NOVA Award, 1999
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory Scientist of the Year, 1999
- Biemann Medal, American Society for Mass Spectrometry, 1997
- Research Staff, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, 1984-1999
- Wigner Fellow, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, 1983-1985
- Visiting Scientist - FOM Institute for Atomic and Molecular Physics, Amsterdam, 1983
- McGee, W. M.;Mentinova, M.;McLuckey, S. A., Gas-Phase Conjugation to Arginine Residues in Polypeptide Ions via N-Hydroxysuccinimide Ester-Based Reagent Ions . Journal of the American Chemical Society 2012 , 134 , 11412-11414.
- Prentice, B. M.;McLuckey, S. A., Dipolar DC Collisional Activation in a "Stretched" 3-D Ion Trap: The Effect of Higher Order Fields on rf-Heating . Journal of the American Society for Mass 2012 , 23 , 736-744.
- Stutzman, J. R.;Hassell, K. M.;McLuckey, S. A., Dissociation behavior of tryptic and intramolecular disulfide-linked peptide ions modified in the gas phase via ion/ion reactions . International Journal of Mass Spectromet 2012 , 312 , 195-200.