P. V. RamachandranProfessor—Organic
Office: BRWN 5131B
For Professor Ramachandran's individual Home Page click here.
Our interests are firmly rooted in the application of organoborane and fluoro-organic chemistry. We develop novel methods and reagents to facilitate the synthesis of a variety of complex molecular targets, particularly for the treatment of cancer, inflammation, and central nervous system disorders. We also focus on the mechanistic aspects of our methodologies.
One of our recent accomplishments is the borane-mediated convergent total synthesis of the tubulin-polymerizing potent anti-cancer molecule, (-)-dictyostatin. Our current efforts focus on the preparation of fluorinated analogs of dictyostatin via novel fluorinated crotylborating agents as well as borane-mediated aldol reactions. Our tandem allylboration-Cope rearrangement and allylboration-Prins cyclization strategies are also emerging as powerful tools for total synthesis.
Our collaborative research setting encompasses biological aspects as well. At present, we have a number of compounds that are ligands for a variety of targets. For example, our fluorinated dictyostatin molecules are being examined for tubulin poylmerization and several of our novel g-butyro- and d-valerolactones are being examined for both COX- and NFkB Inhibition in collaboration with Indiana University School of Medicine.
We have developed new procedures and reagents for allylboration of imines for the one-pot synthesis of optically active amines and amino acids including GABA analogs. We are presently investigating the properties of these de novo molecules generated by our initiatives by screening them for biological activity on ion channels and dopamine receptors through collaborations with the Medicinal Chemistry Department and the National Institute of Drug Abuse. Development of novel set of racemic and chiral GABA analogs will be assayed for activity as potential lead compounds for development as drugs for the treatment of epilepsy, neuropathic pain, and addiction.
EducationB.S. 1974, M.S. 1976, Calicut University, India; Ph.D. 1983, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India; Postdoctoral Fellow 1984-86, Purdue University.
- Fellow of the American Chemical Society, 2012
- Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry, 2007
- Boron in the Americas Award, 2006
- Research Scientist, Purdue University , 1987-97
- Ramachandran, P. V.;Chanda, P. B., Solvent- or Temperature-Controlled Diastereoselective Aldol Reaction of Methyl Phenylacetate . Organic Letters 2012 , 14 , 4346-4349.
- Ramachandran, P. V.;Nair, H. N. G.;Gagare, P. D., One-Pot Asymmetric Synthesis of 2- and 2,3-Disubstituted Tetrahydrofuran Derivatives . Journal of Organic Chemistry 2012 , 77 , 5394-5398.
- Ramachandran, P. V.;Raju, B. C.;Gagare, P. D., One-Pot Synthesis of Ammonia-Borane and Trialkylamine-Boranes from Trimethyl Borate . Organic Letters 2012 , 14 , 6119-6121.