Department of Chemistry

Your Name
Friend's Email Address
Comments
 

Wetherill Lab named National Historic Chemical Landmark

Dedication Plaque

 

Play video
Watch video highlights

Tim Sands, Marinda Li Wu, Paul Shepson
Purdue Provost Tim Sands
ACS President Marinda Li Wu
Chemistry Department Head Paul Shepson

 

Tom Lane, Marina Li Wu, Joe Francisco
Past ACS President Tom Lane
ACS President Marinda Li Wu
Past ACS President Joe Francisco

 

    The American Chemical Society (ACS) recognized the R. B. Wetherill Laboratory of Chemistry as a National Historic Chemical Landmark on Friday, April 26, 2013.

    The building has served as a center for chemical education and research in the United States for more than 80 years. Generations of chemists and chemical engineers have studied in the building under renowned faculty, including Purdue Nobel laureates Herbert C. Brown (1979) and Ei-ichi Negishi (2010).

    Advances made in the building include developments in vapor-phase nitration of saturated hydrocarbons, palladium-catalyzed cross-coupling, tandem mass spectrometry, and the discovery of hydroboration and its application to numerous synthetic pathways. This work has provided versatile techniques for the creation of pharmaceuticals, agricultural chemicals, nitroparaffin-based explosives, and other products.

    Named after local physician and lecturer Dr. Richard Benbridge Wetherill, the building was constructed in phases between 1928 and 1955 to accommodate a growing Department of Chemistry.

The R. B. Wetherill Laboratory of Chemistry will join a list of three other ACS National Historic Chemical Landmarks in the State of Indiana. They include:

  • Percy L. Julian and Chemistry at DePauw University in Greencastle, Indiana dedicated in 1999.
  • Development of Baking Powder at Clabber Girl headquarters in Terre Haute, Indiana dedicated in 2007.
  • Development of Diagnostic Test Strips at Miles Laboratories in Elkhart, Indiana dedicated in 2010.

    ACS is the world’s largest scientific society with more than 163,000 members, and one of the world’s leading sources of authoritative scientific information. A nonprofit organization, chartered by Congress, ACS is at the forefront of the evolving worldwide chemical enterprise and the premier professional home for chemists, chemical engineers and related professions around the globe.

 

Related links:

ACS citation (PDF)

History of the Chemistry Department at Purdue

American Chemical Society National Historic Chemical Landmarks

Source:

Purdue Chemistry, Steve Scherer

Paul Shepson, Head
Feedback | E-mail Webmaster

Purdue University, 560 Oval Drive, West Lafayette, IN 47907
(765) 494-5200
© 2010 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints
If you have trouble accessing this page because of a disability, please contact the Webmaster at webmaster@chem.purdue.edu.