Abram J. Axelrod
- Assistant Professor — Organic Chemistry
- Office: DRUG 247
- For Professor Abram J. Axelrod's individual Home Page click here.
Our research is focused on the synthesis of complex glycoproteins, natural products, and oligosaccharides of importance in immunology and oncology. The projects we investigate are chosen based on the complexity and broader applicability of the chemistry involved, its ability to interrogate a significant biological problem, and the greater implications for translational research. This begins with the development of novel synthetic methods or tactics making difficult chemistry accessible, accelerating biological investigation and discovery, especially in the context of material unreachable through isolation or expression-based methods, Ideally, in direct collaboration with biologists and clinicians, this will lead to the identification of lead structures as pharmacological tools and potential therapeutics.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, 2013 - 2018, Sloan Kettering Institute for Cancer Research
- Ph.D., 2012, University of Texas at Austin
- M.A., 2007, State University of New York at Buffalo
- B.A., 2003, Brandeis University
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Teaching Fellow, 2017
- Hamilton-Schoch Fellow, 2007 - 2008
- Total Chemical Synthesis of the Beta-Subunit of Thyroid Stimulating Hormone Enabled by Arginine Tagged Acetamidomethyl Solubilizing Groups. Brailsford, J.A.*; Stockdill, J.L.*; Axelrod, A.J.*#; Peterson, M.T.; Vadola, P.A.; Johnston, E.V.; Danishefsky, S.J. * = co first author, # = corresponding author (2018). Tetrahedron , 74 , 1951-1956.
- Antibodies Against Specific MUC16 Glycosylation Sites Inhibit Ovarian Cancer Growth. Rao, T.D.*; Fernandez-Tejada, A.*; Axelrod, A.*; Rosales, N.; Yan, X.; Thapi, S.; Wang, A.; Park, K.J.; Nemieboka, B.; Xiang, J.; Lewis, J.S.; Olvera, N.; Levine, D.A.; Danishefsky, S.J.; Spriggs, D. * = co-first author. (2017). ACS Chemical Biology , 12 , 2085-2096.
- Syntheses of Xanthofulvin and Vinaxanthone, Natural Products Enabling Spinal Cord Regeneration.. Axelrod, A.; Eliasen, A.M.; Chin, M.R.; Zlotkowski, K.; Siegel, D. (2013). Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Int. Eng., , 52 , 3421-3424.
- Synthesis of Complanadine A, an Inducer of Neurotrophic Factor Excretion.. Yuan, C.; Chang, C.-T.; Axelrod, A.; Siegel, D. (2010). J. Am. Chem. Soc. , 132 , 5924-5925.