- Associate Professor of Practice —
- Email: JonRK@purdue.edu
- Office: BRWN 1149
Since earning his doctorate, Jon has worked continuously in undergraduate education. With a background in Physical/Theoretical chemistry, he has taught numerous undergraduate chemistry classes (both lab and lecture), with a focus on General Chemistry, Physical Chemistry and Environmental Chemistry.
While at North Park University, Jon was the lead faculty person for the planning, design, and construction of the Johnson Center for Science and Community Life. Now at Purdue University, Jon is leading the process to implement a new General Chemistry laboratory curriculum for the under construction STEM Teaching Lab Building. This curriculum will make full use of the state-of-the-art facilities and technologies provided by the STEM building and employ best practices in laboratory teaching.
- Ph.D., 2000, University of Georgia
- B.S., 1996, Calvin College
- North Park University Co-Division Director and Associate Dean, Division of Sciences, 2017 - 2018
- North Park University Chair, Chemistry Department, 2010 - 2018
- North Park University Faculty Liaison, Johnson Center for Science and Community Life Building Design Team, 2009 - 2014
- Atomic and Molecular Electron Affinities: Theory and Photoelectron Experiments [Editor’s Choice Article]. Jonathan C. Rienstra-Kiracofe, Gregory S. Tschumper, H. F. Schaefer III, Sreela Nandi, and G. Barney Ellison (2002). Chem. Rev. (102) , 231.
- The C2H5 + O2 Reaction Mechanism: High-Level Ab Initio Characterizations [Invited Feature Article]. Jonathan C. Rienstra-Kiracofe, Wesley D. Allen, and Henry F. Schaefer III (2000). J. Phys. Chem. A (104) , 9823.