The goals of the Department of Chemistry are aligned with both Purdue University’s New Synergies plan and the College of Science’s Insight, Innovation, Impact plan. The department will organize and implement its strategic plan around the four goals put forward by the College of Science, recognizing that these goals are interdependent and synergistic.
Launching tomorrow’s leaders
Develop new facilities for interaction with and educating our students.
Provide an outstanding graduate experience in the chemical sciences.
Improve and increase participation in opportunities for study abroad.
Maintain an outstanding undergraduate experience for both chemistry majors and students in courses for non-majors.
Provide mentoring and support for young faculty and researchers who will become leaders of their field.
Discovery with delivery
- Create advanced molecular sciences facilities for doing research in the chemical sciences and for the teaching and learning of chemistry.
- Achieve a ranking of the Department of Chemistry at Purdue University as one of the top fifteen departments in the country through world-class basic and translational research (in 5-10 yrs).
Meeting global challenges
- Strengthen the scientific, economic, and societal impact of the Department of Chemistry’s discoveries, innovations, and achievements, and increase awareness of the contributions made by the department to issues of global importance and increase and improve global scale connections.
Building diverse communities of excellence
- Recruit and retain a distinguished and diverse faculty, staff and student body.
- Develop and maintain a vital, supportive and collegial work/study environment.