Research and Internships
Research at Purdue
- See our CHM 49900 Undergraduate Research page for more information on getting started in research in the Chemistry Department at Purdue as an undergraduate. As a Chemistry major, you can do research in other departments, such as Chemical Engineering, Pharmacy, or Biology.
- The Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) recognizes undergrad student research through the OUR Scholars program. These scholarships have requirements for the year and pay $1000.
- The Chemistry Department has professor-nominated departmental scholarships for summer research; your advisor will email you about the process sometime in December.
- The SURF program (through the School of Engineering) allows students to participate in research activities on campus over 10-weeks during a 11-week program in the summer. Deadline to apply is usually mid-February.
- Summer Stay Scholars is an on-campus summer scholarship program that combines coursework with a research or internship experience.
- Additional Purdue Summer opportunities can be found at the OUR Opportunities page.
Internships and Jobs
- NSF funds a large number of research opportunities for undergraduate students through its REU Sites program. To learn more and find programs in chemistry click this link.
- The Office of Undergraduate Research has a list of opportunities for research during the year or in the summer.
- The Purdue CCO (Center for Career Opportunities) lists internships and job opportunities, be sure to make an myCCO account.
- Search the American Chemical Society's Get Experience page (no membership required).
- Use sites like LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Indeed, internships.com, and Google to search for opportunities.
- Explore positions on the Hoosier Talent Network if you're interested in staying near or in Indiana.
- The College of Ag posts agricultural-related jobs an internships on their Career Page
- The Internship page on the College of Science's career site has links to search for internships.
- Lawrence Livermore National Lab
- Pacific Northwest National Lab
- Sandia National Labs
- Intelligence Community (DIA, ODNI, DHS, NGIA, NRO, NSA)
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Summer Undergraduate Laboratory Internship (SULI)
- Navy Research Enterprise Internship Program