Skip to main content

Minors in labs or animal facilities

There are additional labor regulations that apply to minors (people under the age of 18 years) who are not enrolled as regular undergraduate students.

If you wish to employ a minor, or to allow a minor to work on a project without pay ("volunteer," legally) in your research lab or animal facility, the requirements are in the REM Minors Guidance Document.

The Indiana DOL web page answers questions about what types of employment (or type of "volunteer" activities) are allowed, and the legally allowed hours and times of days that a minor is allowed to work/volunteer.

An article about this appears in the May 2010 issue (PDF) of Dimensions of Discovery, the publication of the OVPR.